Many models in the BMW 1-series are equipped with a maintenance system that monitors driving conditions to calculate when regular maintenance should be completed. When the computer determines it is time for regular service, a reminder light is illuminated on the control panel. After the scheduled service is performed, the service lights should be reset in order for the computer to accurately track when the next service will be due.
1. Insert the key into the ignition.
2. Press the “Start/Stop” button. Wait for the service reminder lights to turn on and off.
3. Press and hold the trip odometer “Reset” button.
4. Release the “Reset” button when the service menu appears.
5. Press the “Menu” button on the end of the turn signal arm to move through the menu until the service reset option is highlighted.
6. Press and hold the “Reset” button until the service light resets.
To reset the oil service light, use the following procedure:
1. With the ignition in the off position, press the brake and accelerator pedals.
2. For keyed vehicles, turn the key to the accessory position; for pushbutton start vehicles, press the Start/Stop button once quickly. Do not start the engine.
3. Press the accelerator and brake pedals fully for 20 seconds.
4. “Engine Oil Change Due Next Service” and the oil service light will display.
5. Turn the vehicle off. The message and lights will be cleared.
Under what Ford terms “normal” conditions, oil changes will occur at a maximum of every 10,000 miles (16,000 kilometers) or 12 months. Other services to be performed at every oil change include:
• Rotate tires.
• Inspect wheels and related components for noise, wear, looseness or drag.
• Inspect brake pads, shoes, rotors, drums, brake linings, hoses and parking brake.
• Inspect engine cooling system for strength; inspect cooling system hoses.
• Inspect exhaust system and heat shields.
• Inspect half-shaft boots.
• Inspect and lubricate steering linkage, ball joints, suspension, tie-rod ends and U-joints if equipped with grease fittings.
• Inspect cabin air filter (if equipped).