BMW recommends the use of a reset tool.
1. Turn off the ignition.
2. Press and hold the TRIP ODOMETER button in the instrument cluster and turn the ignition to Accessory.
3. Keep the button pressed for 5 seconds until OIL SERVICE RESET (RE) or INSPECTION RESET (RE) appears in the display. Then release the button.
4. Press and hold the button again for 5 seconds until RE or RESET flashes in the display. Then release the button.
5. With the display flashing
6. Turn the ignition off and start the engine to verify the indicator has been reset.
Turn key switch ON or when start engine, the instrument panel will display “OIL Service” or“INSPECTION” and left distance for several seconds. If “Service” or“ INSPECTION” are lit all the time and the left distance is next to “0”? it indicates that it needs oil service reset.
Reset by manual :
1. Press RESET button in the left of instrument panel.
2. Turn key ON and to ACC position.
3. Waiting for the instrument displays “OIL Service” or “INSPECTION” is flashed.
4 Release RESET button, then press five seconds, the screen will display RESR or RE is flashed. Release RESET button again and press again till the screen displays “25000km”. Now reset is completed.
When you find there is “-“symbol in front of the left distance number in the screen, and you can’t do reset with the above method, now you can use X-431 to reset oil service.