“Resetting the service reminder indicator (SRI), model years 2002-
The service reminder indicator (SRI) informs the driver that it is time for the car to be serviced. The text message is displayed for 120s each time the ignition is switched on.
Proceed as follows to reset the service reminder indicator (SRI):
1.Ignition position I
2. Press and hold in the reset button for the trip odometer
3. Ignition position II. Note! Turn the key to position II within 2 seconds
4. Hold the reset button for the trip meter pressed in until the original value has been reset. Note! For all vehicles from the 2003 model year a general yellow lamp will light when the reset button must be released
5. Release the reset button for the trip odometer within 4 seconds. The instrument gives an audible signal when resetting has succeeded
6. If the trip meter is already reset the reset button should be held in for a minimum of 10 seconds and a maximum of 14 seconds.
Note! If the reset button for the trip odometer is not released within 4 seconds, the service reminder indicator (SRI) is not reset.”
Many models in the BMW 1-series are equipped with a maintenance system that monitors driving conditions to calculate when regular maintenance should be completed. When the computer determines it is time for regular service, a reminder light is illuminated on the control panel. After the scheduled service is performed, the service lights should be reset in order for the computer to accurately track when the next service will be due.
1. Insert the key into the ignition.
2. Press the “Start/Stop” button. Wait for the service reminder lights to turn on and off.
3. Press and hold the trip odometer “Reset” button.
4. Release the “Reset” button when the service menu appears.
5. Press the “Menu” button on the end of the turn signal arm to move through the menu until the service reset option is highlighted.
6. Press and hold the “Reset” button until the service light resets.
Turn the ignition to run (one position before starting engine).
Press and release the SERVICE REMINDER button until the desired item is displayed.
When the desired item is displayed, do not release SERVICE REMINDER button.
After button has been pressed for approximately 10 seconds, the service interval mileage display will begin to count down in 500 mile/km intervals.
When desired service interval mileage is reached, release button.
Turn the ignition off and then start the engine to verify the indicator has been reset.
The “—” display can be reset while the ignition switch is “OFF”. When the display is reset, the time until the next periodic inspection is displayed and “PERIODIC INSPECTION” is no longer displayed when the ignition is switched from “OFF” to “ON”.
Lightly press the multi-information meter switch until the information screen switches to service reminder display screen.
Press and hold the multi-information meter switch for about 2 seconds or more to display the (wrench icon) and make it flash.
Lightly press the multi-information meter switch while the icon is flashing to change the display from “—” to “CLEAR”. After this, the time until the next periodic inspection will be displayed.
Start the engine to verify the indicator has been reset.