BMW recommends the use of a reset tool.
1. Turn off the ignition.
2. Press and hold the TRIP ODOMETER button in the instrument cluster and turn the ignition to Accessory.
3. Keep the button pressed for 5 seconds until OIL SERVICE RESET (RE) or INSPECTION RESET (RE) appears in the display. Then release the button.
4. Press and hold the button again for 5 seconds until RE or RESET flashes in the display. Then release the button.
5. With the display flashing
6. Turn the ignition off and start the engine to verify the indicator has been reset.
BMW 2001 to current
Ignition Off (Position 0)
Press and Hold the trip odometer button while turning key to position 1 (ACCESSORY)
Keep the button depressed (about 5 secs.) until you see “Oil Service” or “Inspection” with “Reset” or “Re” in the display*
Press the button again and hold for approx. 5 secs. until “Reset” or “Re” flashes
While the display is flashing, briefly press the button again to reset the Service Interval. After the display has shown the new interval you should see “END SIA” for about 2 seconds
Note: that if the “Reset” or “Re” does not flash, then you have not met the minimum consumption level and cannot reset
*Note: On vehicles with “High” cluster, you will also see the amount of fuel (in litres) remaining until next service